Sunday 1 September 2013

G.I.Joe: Retaliation

I saw an interview where G. I. Joe: Retaliation star Channing Tatum said that the studio had learnt from the mistakes of the previous film (humorously re-titled CGI Joe by the critics). That man, he lies. Jon Chu’s film is all effects and not much more. At least Dwayne Johnson looks to put in a performance in whatever film he’s in, but everyone else is lost amongst the wafer thin plot and unmemorable characters. Bruce Willis pops up in a tired cameo and London gets destroyed again. These films are starting to make G. I. Jane look good. Chu’s last few films have included a couple of the Step Up’s so I assume the studio didn’t have much of a budget left for a director once they’d started to total up the possible costs of the f/x. I would say teenage boys need only apply, but this is so vapid it might register with tweens only. This was actually banned in Pakistan due to the perceived negative light the government there felt its country was portrayed in. The citizens of Islamabad don’t know how lucky they are. Rating: 3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment