Sunday 10 February 2013

Best and Worst Films of 2012

2012 is already well behind us so I suppose it’s about time I published these lists. Last year I said I would have accused people of madness if they had told me in advance that I would have been picking a Planet Of The Apes film as the best film of that year. Well, this year I would have said you were doolally in the extreme if you told me that a Judge Dredd film would be taking my top spot, but the man with justice on the agenda takes the title. Actually, it was the fact that no one was expecting anything from that film that made it all the more enjoyable, and that’s quite a theme of a lot of the best films of the year. People were unsure about Sam Mendes helming Skyfall, Chronicle, The Imposter and Untouchable were all unheard of and no-one would have bet the farm on a film concerning a cappella singing (Pitch Perfect) being a resounding success. Though this is a top ten, it should really be a top fifteen as The Grey, The Muppets, 21 Jump Street, End Of Watch and Berberian Sound Studio are all equals of anything that made the final cut. As usual I’ve tried for an eclectic mix in the top ten and this year I’d say there’s at least one film in there for everyone to enjoy. Once again you can also mix up that top ten and put it in a different order and I wouldn’t find much to argue about. On the stinker front, there was plenty to hold your nose about this year so the films that made my top ten really were scraping the barrel and a number of them were from directors who really should know better. Anyway, here’s the lists then, best first…

1) Dredd
2) Skyfall
3) Chronicle
4) Pitch Perfect
5) Untouchable
6) The Dark Knight Rises
7) The Woman In Black
8) Man On A Ledge
9) The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists!
10) The Imposter

…if they still work, don’t spend your HMV vouchers on these…

1) This Means War
2) Haywire
3) Taken 2
4) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
5) Bel Ami
6) Intruders
7) Snow White And The Huntsman
8) American Reunion
9) Jackpot
10) The Dictator

No comments:

Post a Comment