Tuesday 31 January 2012

New Year's Eve

When I reviewed Valentine’s Day back in 2010 I commented that “the only thing to make you smile about this is that there can’t be a Valentine’s Day 2. Can there?”. Well, guess what? It’s here. Or at least the template of it has returned in the form of New Year’s Eve. It’s the same MO i.e. throw in a load of B list to Z list stars (Bon Jovi), sprinkle with a screenplay of innocent (and mainly unfunny) gags and walla!...you have Valentine’s Day 2. Sorry, I mean New Year’s Eve. I almost missed this at the cinema, but saw it at the last minute as I assumed it would have a good chance of making my worst films of 2011 list (what a cynic I am). I would have lost my money at the bookies though as this isn’t actually as bad as it looks. It’s still complete rubbish though. However, if the target audience enjoys themselves (women, you fools!) then who am I to mock it so? Actually, as a (self-appointed!) film reviewer it’s my job to mock as much as possible. In terms of storyline we have a criss-cross of tales going on with them interchanging at various points. None of them are particularly memorable (or original) so it’s more a case of which ones are least worst, as it were. No-one really comes out of this with much credibility, but it’s fairly inoffensive stuff and unlikely to harm too many careers. To be fair to director Garry Marshall he moves the film along at speed, which at least helps you forget any rubbish that was occurring a few minutes before. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t chuckle a few times as well and there’s a decent montage of out-takes during the end credits. Doubtless you’ll see this unless this kind of thing floats your boat, but at least it’s an improvement on Valentine’s Day.

The OC Film Sting Final Verdict
What next? Independence Day? Oh no, wait….Rating: 4/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment