Friday 21 January 2011

Little Fockers

Little Fockers was one of the odder cinema experiences I’ve had in recent times. Odd in the fact that for a comedy film I didn’t laugh a single time (though I think a smirk was raised on a couple of occasions). Not a great situation for a comedy film that, but at no point did I think the film itself terrible. I’ve seen a lot of worse comedy films recently in which though the film was dire, I did still actually laugh a few times. So, where does that leave LF in that particular equation? I’m not sure, but I think some people will get some enjoyment out of it and it’s definitely a step up from the barrel scraping Meet The Fockers. The reason being that the filmmakers have gone back to concentrating on what made Meet The Parents such a gem, that of the relationship between Greg (Ben Stiller) and Jack (Robert DeNiro), and sidelining other characters, particularly the spectacularly unfunny Barbara Streisand and Dustin Hoffman as Stiller’s parents. This is a shrewd move by director Paul Weitz, but he may have had some help from Hoffman himself here who allegdy took less screen time due to him being upset with the script. Owen Wilson also makes a welcome return as the Stiller wife bothering, Kevin. As I said, this isn’t comedy genius, but if you like your laughs broad you should be OK. The film at least ends on a high note, with a decent credits sequence, but it’s hard to believe that Meet The Parents spawned such inferior sequels.

The OC Film Sting Final Verdict
A step up from the previous film, but that’s not saying much. This should be the last of the sequels though and I think everyone will join me in thinking thank Fock for that! Rating: 5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment