Sunday 28 February 2010

Valentines Day

Question. Is this the most cynical piece of film-making ever? I’m hard pressed to think of a more (less?) worthy one at the moment. Valentine’s Day has no artistic merit or worth in terms of it actually being produced as a cinematic experience. It’s an idea for a cash cow, not a film. Which is ironic as, after I’d seen it, I think I would have preferred to spend my cash watching cows in a field instead. You can almost see the pitch now. Love Actually but with North Americans? Call it Valentine’s Day? Release it on Valentine’s weekend? Show me the money! So what you get is a ridiculous screen play with numerous characters and story arcs. Who cares if the characters are pretty much unlovable and some storyline’s barely register? Show me the money! Who cares if most of the actors and actresses phone it in? Look at them all on the poster! Show me the money! It’s a little rom, with virtually no com. In fact, some of the “jokes” are suspiciously xenophobic and a gay subplot concerning one of the characters is so badly handled it unfortunately comes across as a cheap joke at its moment of reveal. So what did the actors and actresses “see” in the script when it landed on their doormat? “$”, is what they saw. Now get out.

The OC Film Sting Final Verdict
Pretty dire stuff. The target audience may enjoy a few laughs and swoons, but the only thing to make you smile about this is that there can’t be a Valentine’s Day 2. Can there? Rating: 2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment